As I mentioned the other day, I’m struggling with finding yummy stuff to eat for the gestational diabetes so I thought I would share some of the recipes I have found
This first one we had for breakfast on Monday morning, pancakes are a semi regular occurance in our house so I was a bit worried about messing with our usual cup or flour, cup of milk, egg & sugar routine. I was happy when Mr Z declared them “the best pancakes ever” so I think our usual recipe is going to be changed from now on.
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1 ¼ cup low-fat buttermilk*
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbs flaxseed meal (alos called linseed meal)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
* if you don’t have buttermilk (which I never do) you can just put 1tbs of white vinegar in a cup & then fill with milk to make 1 1/4 cup.
- Whisk together flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs with oil and buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until just combined.
- Then as with all pancakes, pour 1/4 cup batter onto the pan and cook over medium heat.
- When bubbles form flip the pancake over & cook.
I serve mine with fresh raspberries, blackberries & strawberries with a dollop of yoghurt (as shown above). The kids had theirs with golden syrup & hubby had strawberry jam on his.
Adapted from Nutrtion Fitness Life